Position: Process Engineer
Location: Newark, Delaware
Reports to: Director of Engineering and Quality
Purpose of Position
Under the direction of the Director of Engineering and Quality, the Process Engineer supports the plant manufacturing and technical operations while maintaining a strong focus on continual Process Improvement and Optimization. This role will apply fundamental knowledge of basic principles, theories, and concepts of industry standards and practices to design, automate, modify, or develop facilities, testing, machines, equipment, or processes used in processing or manufacturing products.
- Create and lead optimization projects for the extrusion, injection molding, and thermoforming processes by identifying, validating, and implementing continuous improvement opportunities.
- Identify and drive projects to reduce cost, eliminate waste, and improve process capabilities, as well as to improve product quality and workplace safety.
- Establishes process and process capability standards for all plastics processing equipment.
- Conduct process audits to support process capability in support of product quality efforts.
- Understand and apply Cpk, FEMA, and Gage R&R analysis for plastics production processes.
- Create and update documentation related to plastic equipment process capabilities.
- Develop specifications and provide technical expertise to purchase new equipment and tooling.
- Responsible for leading implementation and validation of all new plastics processing equipment and tooling projects.
- Assist manufacturing and maintenance teams to troubleshoot plastics production equipment issues by identifying root cause of issues and implementing sustainable corrective actions.
- Create seamless linkages between sales, engineering, manufacturing, and quality departments to reduce project lead times and to accelerate new products to market.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, establishing professional networks and participating in professional societies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Plastics or Materials Science or Mechanical Engineering with plastics processing experience preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years plastics hands-on process experience with extrusion, injection molding, and thermoforming.
- Knowledge of thermoplastic raw materials (LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, Nylon, PET, etc.).
- Previous experience working in a regulated production environment (i.e., GMP, ISO).
- CAD Experience (i.e., AutoCAD, CATIA, UG).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong statistical skills and knowledge of statistical software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate to all levels of employees.
- Ability to walk through all parts of the plant numerous times daily.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly.
- Must be able to walk through department numerous times per day and step up and down from platforms and catwalks.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, push, pull, and lift objects and/or equipment of various weight, size, and design.
- Combined office and warehouse environment.
- Requires exposure to equipment noise and dust.
- Occasional travel (up to 15% annually) to suppliers and customers.
If you would like to apply for this position, please fill out our online job application form.